The Mirror of Erised
The site has been moved to this new url...please come and see the improvements!

http://harrypotterdreams.proboards.com
The Mirror of Erised
The site has been moved to this new url...please come and see the improvements!

http://harrypotterdreams.proboards.com
The Mirror of Erised
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mirror of Erised

Glance at the reflection to what your heart desires most!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
The site will be deleted some time around June seventh. Everyone will recieved a three day warning before the deletion date to close their threads or move them. If you wish I will put the threads in an archive board on the new site, which is at this address http://harrypotterdreams.proboards.com. If you do not request the threads you want archived I will delete them...if you need time transferring talk to Severus Snape in the CB or send him a PM. Thank you for being a part of MoE, I hope you will be apart of the new site as well. Severus Snape

Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jeffrey Winter
Muggle: Secondary school teacher: 40 yrs old
Jeffrey Winter

Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Empty
PostSubject: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am

Jeff was sitting on the roof of his house, waiting for his sons to come help him. He was taking down Christmas lights and he was grateful that both Gareth and Evan were here today to help. Since Gar wasn't always around, Jeff wanted to take advantage of the extra pair of hands. He moved to the edge and began taking out the staples that held the lights in place, then he wrapped the light strand around his arm to gather it. He finished one side on his own before he had to stop and wipe his brow. He was getting too old for this. And his sons were certainly taking their sweet time.

He looked up at the sun and knew they only had about an hour of good daylight. So he sighed and climbed down the ladder. He took off his hat and gloves as he went inside, but he wasn't planning on being inside for long. He would just get their behinds in gear, then head back out and get it all done. He found all of his children in the family room playing the video games he had gotten them as their big family Christmas present. And though he was glad they were bonding, he had told them all to help out with family chores today before anything else.

He moved behind Evan and silently took the controller out of his hand, taking over the race. He moved the car in first easily and bypassed them all rather quickly, getting to the finish line. The best part was, no one except for Evan had seen that it was him. After he won the race, they were all looking to Evan to see how he had come out of nowhere. Jeff just smiled and held up his controller before picking up the remote and turning off the tv.

"Wondering how I beat the pants off all of you? Well, I suppose you'll never know. Now, I believe I recall saying that today is cleaning day. Cambria and Willow, you are taking this room and your bedroom. Max, in the kitchen with Mum. And Gar and Ev, you're out with me on the roof. I will hear no whining, I just want everyone to go and get it done."

He started outside again and waited for his oldest two to follow him.
Back to top Go down
Evan Winter
Hogwarts Prefect: Ravenclaw
Evan Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Evan groaned, he did not want to go cleaning! This was his bloody vacation! Didn't he deserve to sit and not do anything? Apparently not, however he was of age when it came to casting magic outside of the school so hurrying out past his father he whipped out his wand and silently began gather lights. His father hated when he used magic that way, but at this present moment he did not care. He was not going to strain himself to clean up when it was not him that had wanted to set up the lights to begin with. Well that wasn't true, he had wanted them up, but he had wanted to do it the easier way.

Looking to the side to make sure his father was not around he began tying the bundles and carried them back into the house. He hadn't done all of them, only the side he was sure his father would assign him, the reason for this thought being that every year...no matter the circumstances he had to do the left side of the house...while Gar took care of the right. Going past his father he patted him on the back and smiled.

"All done dad," he grinned. "I'm gonna go take a shower...you know...working hard like that always works me up into a sweat."
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:08 pm

"Not so fast, kiddo."

Jeffrey grasped his son by the shoulder and pulled him back in front of him. He smirked, knowing precisely what his son had done. Or had tried to do, anyway. Evan knew better than that. Jeff had taught him the importance of working hard, even when there were easier routes to take. It was especially difficult to explain these kinds of things to children who could all perform magic. Even Max was showing his magical tendencies. But he would not let his sons and daughters ride through life. They would go into adulthood knowing how to do everything the muggle way, as well as the magical way. And in cases such as these, he would not relent.

"You may be a wizard, but I did not raise you to be a lazy ass. I know that you used your wand. Mainly because it isn't humanly possible to take down Christmas lights that fast. Also...we do this every year for a bonding experience. So this is what we're going to do. You and I are going on the roof and we're finishing the lights up there together. And it will be the real way, no charms or spells. Gareth can work on the trees. Come on, son."

He led the way up the ladder and waited for Evan to join him. Sometimes his boy would give him attitude, just as Cambria had learned to do. But no one was as bad as his little girl. He truly hoped Evan would not act immaturely right now. Really, Jeff only wanted time with his sons. He had already squandered his time with Gareth too much, and now his oldest was out of the house. Jeff would not make that mistake again. And now that he had both of his older boys here, he would make sure they knew how much he loved them. Even if his method was to force them to take down the family Christmas lights.
Back to top Go down
Evan Winter
Evan Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Evan groaned and glared at his father, he didn't want to have to get back up on the roof. He wanted to just go back into the house and lay on the sofa. He wanted to be lazy and not have to do anything, so rather than follow his father up he shook his head.

"No," he snapped. "I did my part, I just want to go in the house...it's cold out here and I'm tired...I only have so many days of vacation left, can't I spend it lounging around?"

He knew he sounded like a brat, but he didn't throw tantrums often, and right now he felt that there was call for him to have a tantrum...or at least a light form of one.

"I'm going inside where it's warm," he grumbled going to the door. "If you want to bond you can find me in my room."
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 am

Jeffrey felt anger flit across his features at the retreating form of his second son. He missed the whole damn point of this, didn't he? Jeff stepped down the few rungs of the ladder he had climbed and stood on solid ground.

"Evan! Evan Joseff Winter, get your ass back here!"

But his son was already at the door and Jeff knew it would not be worth it to have a fight right now. Oh, he was not finished with Evan. They would have a nice long talk in his room once all of the lights were put away. And he had a few odds and ends jobs that needed fixing. Evan could have his lazy vacation tonight. And then tomorrow, he would be in the garage all day fixing the truck. What pissed Jeff off more than anything was the fact that it was his vacation too. And he wanted to spend more quality time with his children and his wife. But he had to take care of the whole damn house, and all of his lesson plans as well. Evan was acting so spoiled, and that was not like him.

Jeff sighed and rubbed his gloved hands together, waiting for Gareth. When he saw his oldest son, he pulled him off to the side of the yard, under a tree where no other ears could hear.

"Well, your brother left us to finish on our own. I want you to know you're not obligated to stay, especially because he left already. But I would like some help. And more than that, I actually wanted to talk to you about Samara without your mother trying to get a word in. I wanted to speak to Evan about his relationship as well, but he's throwing a bloody tantrum."
Back to top Go down
Gareth Winter
Head Boy: Slytherin
Gareth Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:22 am

Gareth knew Evan could not have been happy at having the controller taken away from him and the game he'd been playing won by his father, but Gar also had to admit, he'd been impressed. He'd been visiting his family for the holidays, even though it would have been the first he and Samara would have had together in their new flat. He'd come home to be with his parents and siblings, and she'd gone to be with her father. They would have their own little Christmas right before they went back to school.

When the game was finished and he and Evan had been instructed to come outside to help take down the decorations, Gar had instantly gotten up and gone in search of his outerwear. It took him a while to find his gloves. For some reason they had been in Max's room. But he hurried downstairs, zipping his coat as he did, and hurried out the door to help his father and brother. He was nearly bowled over by Evan as he was coming in as Gareth was going out.

He was pulled by his father to a tree as soon as he'd been spotted and told that he didn't have to stay since Evan had left them to take down the decorations while he'd gone back into the warm. Gareth shook his head. He was more than happy to help. It meant male bonding time with his father. He liked that. But hearing Samara's name made him swallow hard. Had his dad found out about their engagement?

"What about Sam?" he asked, feigning innocence.

Last edited by Gareth Winter on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:56 am

Jeff smirked softly. His son seemed nervous still, and Jeff couldn't help but think that that was a very good thing. If Gareth was still nervous about living with Samara, that meant that he was either having second thoughts, or he hadn't slept with her yet. Either way, it would be good. The second thoughts would bring him home again, and make Sara a lot easier to live with. And if his son was practicing abstinence, it was the best form of birth control. Jeffrey was under no illusions that his oldest son would soon have sex, if he had not already. But the longer he waited, the better. Jeff was not ready to be a grandfather.

"Nothing in particular, son. Just want to make sure you're both happy with the decision to move in together. And I also need to make sure that you're using protection if you're having sex. I'm sure that you aren't stupid enough to have unprotected sex, but I still need to check up on you. Until you are married, pregnancy is not a good idea. And even then, you should wait until you are established in your career, at least a bit."

He nodded and moved to the ladder to start climbing up to the roof.

"Come on, son. We can continue this conversation as we work."
Back to top Go down
Gareth Winter
Gareth Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:02 pm

Gar watched his father move to the ladder, in more than just a bit of shock. He'd thought that his mother had been running down Sam behind his back. But his dad wanted to talk about whether he was happy with his decision to move in with his girlfriend, and whether they were having sex or not.

He swallowed hard. How could he tell his father what was going on in his head and heart right now? He was happy living with Samara, he would never regret that. He loved her so much that the idea of them being seperated nearly tore him in two.

Gareth followed his father up the ladder onto the roof and scooted to a safer perch to prevent falling when he'd reached the top.

"Dad, I'm very happy living with Sam. I know that Mum doesn't like it that I've moved out, but I am eighteen now. And I want to be with the woman that I love." He dropped his eyes, knowing that he'd probably just gotten himself into a bit of trouble. He cleared his throat to calm himself.

"But there is one little problem. I........" He paused for a moment, wondering if he really wanted to say this. He'd tried with Samara's father, trying to tell the man that he would never do anything to hurt his daughter, and that included pressing for her to sleep with him before she was ready. And the truth was, he didn't even know if he was ready!

"Dad, I want you to know that I would never do anything in my life that would intentionally hurt you or Mum. And I know that she would never want to hear about me ever having sex at all, so maybe it's better that I talk to you about this." He lifted his blue eyes to meet his father's.

"I'm not sure if I'm ready to go that far yet. I love Sam. With all my heart. But.... I don't want her to be....disappointed in me." Gareth dropped his eyes again and started taking some of the decorations off the roof.

Last edited by Gareth Winter on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Jeff cleared his throat and looked up from his work for a moment. Gareth seemed almost scared to talk to him. Had he really become the parent that his children feared? He blamed it all on his Cambria's antics. He loved his little girl so much, but she had gotten under his skin somehow. And now they all thought he was some sort of strict disciplinarian. He didn't want that. He smiled softly in an attempt to calm his son's nerves.

"Gar...do you think I'm upset about you loving Samara? Son, that wouldn't make me mad. It would make me more mad if you were living with a young woman you felt lukewarm about. Your mother and I both know how you feel. And yes, she hasn't accepted it yet. But you know deep down she just wants you to be happy. If you give her some time, she'll come around. Trust me, I've known her for twenty-three years. She's a lot of bluster, but she has a warm, melty center."

He sighed and went back to pulling staples out of the roof and circling the light strand around his arm.

"Did I ever tell you...that we thought we lost you when your mum was pregnant? She was only about four months along, but she started bleeding. We were so scared, so we took her in right away and they did an ultrasound. It ended up being nothing, of course. But for those few hours we didn't know...your mother prayed harder than I've ever seen anyone pray. She wanted you so much, Gareth. We both did. But I think that's why this is so hard on her. It's not because she's trying to be mean, or because she has something against Sam. It's not that at all. She just doesn't want her baby taken away," he said softly.

"And I know, you're going to say you're not a baby. But to Mum...you'll always be her baby. You can live with Samara, I'm not telling you not to. But you have to remember your mother throughout all of this. Remember that she wants what is best for you as well."

Jeff finished the back side and went to the side his son was sitting on, so he could help him finish. Then they could move to the trees. He was also biding his time, trying to figure out what was best to say next. This subject could be a potential minefield, but it needed to be traversed anyway.

"Now, about sex. I know you and I have talked about it before, but it was always before you were actually in love. I think it's important not to feel pressured into it, son. If you're not ready, you're not ready. And you shouldn't push yourself into it just because it seems common or normal. Sex should be anything but that. But I also think that if you're holding back because you're worried she might be disappointed, that's not a good thing. Gareth, think about it...does she love you? And do you love her? That is all that matters. Everything else will fall into place."

He placed a hand on Gareth's back and looked into his eyes.

"That is precisely why I want all of you to wait until you are in a loving, committed relationship. Because the only way sex can ever be truly spectacular is if both partners are selfless and giving. You are already in love, Gareth. You will have plenty of time to work it out between the two of you. Just relax, and it will happen when the time is right. I promise."
Back to top Go down
Gareth Winter
Gareth Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Gareth listened to what his father was telling him. He'd not known about his mother having been afraid that she'd lost him.

"Really?" he asked. "Mum almost lost me? Did the doctors tell you what had happened, or what it was that was going on?" He pulled a few more of the staples that he was working on, wrapping the light strand around his arm as he did. When he reached the end, he unplugged the string from the one next to it, an handed the wrapped bundle to his father.

"I know that she'll always think of me as her baby, but Dad, you have to admit that sometimes..... it can be a little smothering. I'm not living with Sam to get away from her. I'm living with Sam because I want to be with her. I want to live my life with the woman I love. I want to go to sleep each night with her in my arms, and wake up the same way." He smiled at that visualization. He did want that. For the rest of his life.

"I know that I need to just relax and not be so worried about what may or may not happen. Because believe me, I do want it to happen. Dad, I do want to sleep with Sam. I just have to get past this fear that she won't love me anymore. I know that she will. I have to remember that she loved me before we moved in together, and she loves me now. There is no reason that she wouldn't love me after we have sex."

He finished wrapping up the next string of lighs and handed it to his father, noticing with mild surprise that he was finished with the roof. He looked around himself and saw that all they had left to do was the trees. He started experiencing a new feeling. One that he'd never felt in the past. He didn't know how to describe it to his father, but he was sure of one thing. When he went home to see Sam, there was going to be a change in their flat.

"It looks like we're done up here, Dad. Do you want some help with the trees?" He didn't want to end this conversation already, it was making him feel much better about his relationship with Sam.
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 1:25 am

Jeff did another quick once over to make sure no stray strands of Christmas lights remained along his roof. He did not want to hear Sara nagging at him all year long if he forgot one. Once he had double and triple checked, he headed for the ladder.

"Yeah, let's head down. We have the trees and shrubbery, then we're done. Your mum said she was taking care of the indoor lights and the tree. Odds are she'll still make me do it, though."

Once he was safely on the ground, he waited for his son, then he moved to the first tree with the ladder.

"In answer to your earlier question, about whether the healer told us what was wrong...when we thought we had lost you...I'm not actually sure you want to know. He couldn't find any tears in the placenta, so the only reasonable explanation for the bleeding had to do with sex," he said with a small smirk on his lips.

"But don't worry about your mum anymore. Like I said, she'll get over it. And if she doesn't start behaving around Samara soon, she's going to lose you. And I think she knows it."

He climbed up the ladder and began removing the lights, handing them down to Gareth when he had a full load.

"And this time I agree with you about Sam. Just let it go, and the rest will follow. To tell you the truth, I'm not too worried about you. It's your brother and sisters that have me worried. Evan doesn't talk to me anymore, so I know something is up. And neither Cami or Lo-Lo make eye contact with me. Do you know what's happening with them, by any chance?"
Back to top Go down
Gareth Winter
Gareth Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Gareth wondered if he should tell his father the suspicions that he had. Something was up with his sisters, he just didn't know what that was. He didn't want to get them into trouble if he were wrong, but he just had this sneaking feeling.

"Dad, I don't really know a whole lot of what goes on in the other houses. I mean, I'm Head Boy, but that doesn't mean that the prefects tell me everything that goes on in their house. I have a feeling that something might be going on with Evan, but other than that feeling, I honestly don't know." He shrugged heiplessly. He didn't know what else to tell his father other than that. And it hurt that that was all he knew. His brother and sisters used to talk to him all the time. Now, he only seemed to be able to talk to them when they actually ran into each other in the school. And that wasn't very often.

"I wish that I could be more of a help, but honestly, aside from meals, I don't really see Evan, Cam and Lo-Lo. Maybe we could talk to them now? I mean, that's what the holidays are about, aren't they? Being with your family and getting reconnected?"

He held out his hand to take the bundle that his father handed down the tree, wrapping it around his arm and tying it together when he'd reached the end.

"I would be glad to talk to them with you when we're done, Dad."
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Jeff sighed as they moved from the tree to the bushes. He couldn't really blame Gareth for not knowing what was happening with his siblings at school. He already had a lot on his plate with his responsibilities at school, and now for taking care of his own household with Samara. It wasn't surprising that Gar was not able to keep up with the exploits of the other Winter children. But he was certainly right. Now was the time that these things needed to be found out. Gareth would come along to talk to Evan. That was what Jeff had been hoping for to begin with.

"Alright son. Don't worry about it, I don't expect you to be your sibling's keeper. Although, I do appreciate you doing what you can. I would like to talk to each of your sisters on their own, to see what I can figure out. But if you would come with me to talk to Evan, I think it might help him to open up. He's a tough nut to crack. With Willow, I just have to look at her sternly, and she'll spill all. Cami usually needs a firmer hand, but she will break as well. Evan, on the other hand...he is practically a man himself. You and I will have to tread softly, agreed?"

He looked around once they had gone around to all the bushes and collected every last decorative light on the property.

"It all looks ship shape, Gar. Remind me to give you an extra stipend. Maybe you can buy your woman something pretty for your own apartment," he smiled.

"Other than that, I think we're ready to go up and have a chat with your brother. If you're ready, son, lead the way."
Back to top Go down
Gareth Winter
Gareth Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Gareth swallowed hard. Everything that his father had said about Evan made him a bit more apprehensive about talking to him. But he wanted to reconnect with his siblings. He wanted it very much. It hurt him that they didn't talk as much as they had in the past. He could remember when they had all been total chatterboxes with each other. Now, he was lucky if they were able to say more than hello on their way to class.

He carried the boxes to the house, storing them in their usual spot. When there was no more to do, he turned to his father and nodded. It was time to go talk to his brother. He didn't want to step on Evan's toes, but he did want to know what was going on in his life. It bothered him that the person he'd shared a room with for almost seventeen years didn't even tell him what was happening with his schoolwork anymore. Gareth didn't know how Jocie was, he didn't know if they had any plans to come visit him and Sam anytime soon, he didn't even know if he and Jocie were fighting or getting on well together.

It seemed that the only person that knew anything in their lives anymore, were the people that were living the lives. It made Gareth sad to think that's what had happened to his family. He knew that the way to change this, though, was to talk to his family members, and he was making a start now. He'd talked to his father, and now for his siblings, beginning with Evan.

He led the way into the house, pulling off his gloves and hat as he entered, and stomped the snow off his boots.

"I'm ready when you are, Dad," he said, taking off his coat, and kicking his boots off to keep from tracking the remaining snow into the rest of the house.
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:52 am

Jeffrey nodded and followed his son's lead by taking off his outside clothes and boots and setting them in the front closet. He looked in on his daughter's to make sure they had obeyed him and put away the family room. Then he gestured for Gareth to follow him upstairs to the room that Evan now had to himself. Jeff knocked quickly, but he had never been one to wait for his children to answer. He believed in their privacy to a certain extent, but not when any kind of attitude was involved. And Evan had pulled one earlier. So he lost his privilege of privacy for the evening.

Jeff moved into the bedroom and sat on Gareth's old bed. He looked over to his second son and tried to understand what the boy was thinking. He supposed that was the reason they were here in the first place. He needed to figure that out firsthand.

"I don't appreciate the way you just walked away from me, son. I understand that you finished what you thought to be an appropriate amount of work, but you don't get to decide that. I do. I've let you and your siblings have plenty of free time during this holiday, so I doubt that one day of work will kill you. Besides, you missed the point. I wanted to have some time with you and your brother, figure out what is going on in your lives. And you just dismissed that. Now, I'm not going to ground you. That would be rather pointless, considering the fact that you are off to school in a few days' time. But I do expect an apology, lad."

He sighed and ran a finger through his hair. He felt so old sitting in a room with his two oldest sons, who were now both men. And he didn't know them the way he should have. Well, that changed right now.
Back to top Go down
Evan Winter
Evan Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Evan had gone into his room and without a word to anyone in the house flopped onto his bed, took out his headphones, and turned the whole world off as music blasted into his head. He was not in the mood to really deal with anyone today, and he had no proper reason for it he just did not want to converse with anyone. So he grabbed one of his school books and began studying, all of his teachers had assigned holiday homework and he had done most of it...he just had his potions essay for Snape due and that was it...and if anyone knew Snape they knew that this would take an extreme amount of dedication and concentration.

Bopping his head along with the base he saw that his father had entered his room but refused to acknowledge him, he was not up for being lectured right now. So he would say a quick apology get his father out of his room and be able to go back to being a brooding teenager.

He was sure his father was talking to him, but he could not properly make it out. So with a curt nod he grumbled his apology and turned on his side away from his father and brother; just hoping that they would both leave as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Jeffrey sighed and reached over, pulling the headphones off of his son's head and grabbing the iPod along with it. He knew this would be a sore point for Evan, but it was necessary. Jeff did not like the attitude his boy was exhibiting and he would put an end to it right now.

"Evan Joseff, look at me. I am not just another peer that you can mistreat and disregard. I am your father, and I think I deserve more respect than you are giving me. I only want the best for you, son. And I can't help to give that to you if you don't let me in."

He looked around the room, taking in all of the little trinkets that his sons had collected throughout the years. Seeing all of their boyhood awards, or collectible items, both from the muggle and wizarding worlds, reminded him that it wasn't long ago that they were both children. Jeff had been able to spend more time with his children than most other fathers, because he was a school teacher. He had his evenings free, as well as similar holidays. But all of that still did not mean that he was a perfect father. Oh no, he knew he was far from that.

Even now, after eighteen years...he still did not know what the hell he was doing. He didn't know if he should yell at Evan, or just leave him to his moodiness. He turned to his oldest. Maybe a brother would be better to talk to than a father.

"Do you have anything to say, Gar?"
Back to top Go down
Gareth Winter
Gareth Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Gareth shifted from foot to foot nervously when his father asked if he had anything to say. He nodded and leaned against the wall.

"I want to know why we never talk anymore. We used to all the time, but ever since you got with Jocie and I got with Sam, we never seem to speak to each other. And it gets worse when we are at school. We pass each other in the halls, and hardly even say hello even when I want to talk to you. It hurts, Ev. I don't know if I did something to make you mad at me, but I thought that I was your friend as well as your brother. I feel that it's gotten worse since I moved out to live with Sam, and I don't know what to do! I'm making attempts to connect here, and just feel like I'm not wanted."

He dropped his eyes to the floor in front of him, trying to keep from crying now. He sniffled sotly. He'd said his piece, and now he waited. For an explosion, for a silence that would never be filled again, anything.

Gareth wiped a tear from his eye and looked up at his father and brother.

"So is anyone going to say anything?"

Last edited by Gareth Winter on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Evan Winter
Evan Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Evan glared at his father as he took his Ipod and then at his brother. Everyone in this damn house was so fucking self involved. His father thought that he was avoiding him! His brother thought that he was avoiding him! Couldn't everyone just see that he didn't want to be bothered? He hadn't changed that much, he just preferred sollitude more than he used to! Why was everyone acting as if it was such a big deal! And why would Gareth DARE to bring Jocie into this! That was HIS Jocie and if anything he was a better person with her than he was without her. Getting up from the bed he pushed past them both.

"No, you both pretty much said it all, didn't you?" he snarled. "I'm taking a shower...feel free to follow me in there as well."

He pulled the door open and storming down the hall pushed the bathroom door open and closed it, locking it shortly after. He just wanted to be alone, how was it that when anyone else in this family wanted some privacy it was given...but when Evan wanted it it was as if he was asking for some sacred gift. Stripping himself of his t-shirt he turned the water on high and sat on the toilet as the bathroom filled with steam. He was going to hide there for a while, he had no desire to go back into that room and face his father or siblings.
Back to top Go down
Gareth Winter
Gareth Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Gareth slumped down the wall to the floor. This was exactly what he'd feared would happen. His brother hated him! He had no idea why, but Evan clearly hated him. He'd not wanted to have his family torn apart by him wanting to actually talke to his siblings, but it was breaking his heart that none of them seemed to be willing to have a conversation with him anymore.

"Dad, I'm sorry," he said, looking up at Jeff. "I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I just don't know what I've done. I'm postitive that he despises me now. I only brought up Jocie and Sam because when we started relationships with them, that was about the time that we stopped being able to talk entirely. It just hurts so much that I can't talk to my brother about the joys that I know we both have to be having with being in love. I miss him so much, and I don't know how to deal with this."

He dropped his head back to his drawn up knees. His heart was hurting so badly now. He would probably never be able to mend this rift between Evan and himself. He wished that he had just stayed at the Loft when Sam had gone to see her father. Maybe then, he wouldn't have done this, and made his brother even more angry with him than he already had seemed to be.

"I just don't know what the hell I did," he said, his voice muffled by his knees.
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 am

Jeff watched his oldest son sink to the floor, and the pain he felt was almost palpable. How could Evan be so unfeeling? Had something happened to his baby boy to make him so angry, or was this just who he was now? Jeffrey was tempted to go into the loo and yank his naked son out and force him to apologize...but nobody was that cruel, and certainly not Jeffrey Winter. He would need to figure out some sort of solution to this mess, but as of right now, his mind was all jumbled. He chose to stick with the more immediate problem, and that was Gareth.

Jeff sat down next to his oldest, and wrapped an arm around his boy's shoulders, pulling him in for a side hug.

"Now you listen to me," he whispered fiercely. "I don't know what has gotten into your brother either, but it is not you. Maybe it's his time of the month, I don't know. But I learned a long time ago not to give in to temper tantrums. He will learn to regret acting like such a brat when he realizes his cell phone will be staying here for this next semester. I know the phone doesn't work at Hogwarts, but I also know he uses it in Hogsmeade, or on weekends out, what have you. Other than punishing him, I really don't know what to do. Maybe your mother can talk to him or something. But don't go thinking this is all your fault. It's not your fault at all, champ."

He pulled Gareth close and kissed his temple, then he turned his face to look at him.

"I am so proud of you, you know that? You are head boy, you are making the right decisions with Samara...you are a wonderful son, and a wonderful brother. I don't want you to think you need to carry my responsibilities on your shoulders. I know you love your brother, as well as all of your siblings. But Evan will come around, as he always does. Let me worry about him, alright?"

And worry he would. Whether his children knew it or not, he was always thinking of them, concerned for them. Especially when he felt he was at the end of his rope. Maybe he would take more from Evan than just a bloody cell phone. Maybe the only way to get his son to communicate was to force his hand, the way he had with Cambria. Maybe it was time for Evan to have a little break from Jocelyn. He sighed and held Gareth close for a few more moments, listening to nothing but the sound of their breathing and the shower running down the hall.

"I'm serious, Gar. I don't want you worrying, even though I know that is your first reaction. Now I need to see if I can go figure anything out about your sisters. Would you like to come with me on that? I would like you there. You are a big help. But I also don't want you to feel obligated. Just let me know what you're comfortable with."
Back to top Go down
Gareth Winter
Gareth Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Gareth nodded to his father. It didn't stop him thinking that he'd done something to make Evan mad at him, but he felt a little better at his father thinking that it was Evan's problem, not his. He just wanted to be a family again, and he thought that in order for that to be successful, he needed to be able to talk to his brother. But if that wasn't going to be possible, he'd try to work it out another way. Maybe he'd challenge him to a video game later. He needed to practice in order to win though. He didn't want to make it too easy for Evan to kick his ass at the game.

He got up from the floor and went over to where his and Evan's little 'collection' was. These things had been so important to him when he was younger. Now it seemed as if they were a part of a dream. A dream in which he'd been Evan's best friend. He smiled at the memory. It was bittersweet, and it stung a bit to think that they wouldn't be having late night talks in here anymore. He turned away from the wall and all the items on it. He didn't want to get upset again. His father had asked if he wanted to come with him to talk to Cambria and Willow. And he wanted to be of whatever help he could be while he was at home.

"Sure, Dad. I'll come with you to talk to them. If I can help you out, just let me know. It makes me feel needed." He smiled and hugged his father.

"But remember, I am a big worrier. Just ask Mum, Sam...." He wrapped his arm around his Dad's shoulders. "Let's go see if we can find them."
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Jeffrey sighed and continued to find his daughters. He knew that this was not going to go over well with at least one other child. Usually when one was bad or had an attitude and one was good and helpful, there was one child that sided with the other sibling that was in a bad mood. And somehow he expected it to be Cambria. But he would never say so out loud, even though he thought about it often. He did not know what happened with Cambria, and sometimes he could not help but think that Evan was right...that he had given her too much leeway. But he was trying to make it better and be more stern with all of his children. Lo-Lo was the hardest though...to him she was still a baby...and he was trying to keep it that way...until he found that she was falling for boys as well.

Stopping when he saw one of his daughters he smiled. It was Lo-Lo and she of course was cleaning. His youngest daughter was such a good girl, of course she had her moments when she would throw her own little tantrums...but they were rare and Jeffrey was grateful for that.

"Lo-Lo," he said gently. "Can we talk love?"
Back to top Go down
Willow Winter
Gryffindor
Willow Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Willow had nearly gotten her side of the room clean, and was just fixing up the sheets on her bed when her daddy and her oldest brother came in. She smiled and moved over to him and wrapped her arms around his middle. She loved him so much, and she was still at a stage where she believed him to be without fault. Cambria kept trying to convince her differently, but she wouldn't believe it. Her daddy was her hero and nothing could convince her otherwise.

"Daddy! Of course we can talk."

She smiled and sat on her bed, patting the spot next to her. She didn't know where Cambria was, but she thought that she could have at least made her bed before leaving the room. Cam never seemed to listen to their parents anymore. It was like she didn't care that there would be consequences at some point. And what really confused Willow, was the fact that Cambria couldn't afford to break any menial rules right now. She was trying to hide the fact that she was dating Saber, and if she brought attention to herself, her daddy would find out.

Willow's secret wasn't as bad. Sure, she wasn't supposed to have a boyfriend yet...but that was a new rule. At least she hadn't been specifically told not to see a certain boy in particular, and then do it anyway behind his back. Willow would be in trouble if he found out about Matthew, but Cambria would be dead. That was why they had made the pact. They would not out each other's secrets. Even if her father found out about Matthew, Willow would not rat out Cambria. It was just part of the sister's code of conduct.

She looked up at her father.

"We cleaned the family room like you asked, but then Cambria split. I don't know where. But I'm done with cleaning and homework. See?" She gestured to her completed half of the room and smiled proudly, blushing as well. She didn't like to brag, but she was quite happy with herself right now.
Back to top Go down
Jeffrey Winter
Jeffrey Winter

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 10:36 am

Jeffrey looked to Willow's side of the room and smiled. She was very good when it came to cleaning...she was the only child in this house that was still his baby girl. He loved how she wrapped her arms around his middle, and how she thought the sun rose and set on him, none of his other children felt that way. They all thought that he was a dick. His Lo-Lo however thought that he was a hero and that he could do no wrong.

"I am proud of you little one," he cooed, pecking her lips with his own. "I actually need to talk to both you and your sister...together...but I suppose that while I have you alone I can talk to you about Evan."

He knew that Lo-Lo was so far the only one that was not affected by Evan's mood. Evan loved Lo-Lo's innocence and just like she did with himself she looked at Evan like he could do no wrong. So it only seemed appropriate that his baby would be able to talk to his brooding son.

"Do you know what is wrong with him honey?" he asked gently. "Has he talked to you about school, maybe Jocie?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)   Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Working Hard, or Hardly Working? (Gareth and Evan)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next