The Mirror of Erised
The site has been moved to this new url...please come and see the improvements!

http://harrypotterdreams.proboards.com
The Mirror of Erised
The site has been moved to this new url...please come and see the improvements!

http://harrypotterdreams.proboards.com
The Mirror of Erised
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mirror of Erised

Glance at the reflection to what your heart desires most!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
The site will be deleted some time around June seventh. Everyone will recieved a three day warning before the deletion date to close their threads or move them. If you wish I will put the threads in an archive board on the new site, which is at this address http://harrypotterdreams.proboards.com. If you do not request the threads you want archived I will delete them...if you need time transferring talk to Severus Snape in the CB or send him a PM. Thank you for being a part of MoE, I hope you will be apart of the new site as well. Severus Snape

It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Empty
PostSubject: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Aoife entered the common room slowly, looking around for anyone she knew. It was mostly empty, but she knew Colleen would be here soon. She wished her sister would hurry up. Aoife had had a lovely day, perhaps the loveliest since she started at Hogwarts, and she couldn't wait to tell Colleen all about it. She couldn't wait to hear all about Colleen's day as well. It was hard for Aoife, not being with her all the time. Aoife missed her. Strange to miss a person you saw everyday, but there you are. She did.

Aoife went to a sofa and sat, curling in on herself to make herself small. She'd always sat this way; she didn't know why. She dropped her book satchel on the ground and rummaged through it, looking for her Charms book. She wanted to do well in Charms and impress Professor Michaels. She'd already worked two chapters ahead, and today she was the only person in class who was able to levitate her feather on the first try. She'd been practicing the spells in the book so she'd be ready whenever they performed them in class. Now she was ready to start trying to make a book dance. In class, they'd be using a pineapple, but she didn't have any, so she reckoned a book was a good substitute.

She hadn't managed to make it do any more than flop open when Colleen came in. Aoife smiled. Seeing Colleen always made her happy. She wished all over again that they could have been in the same house. "I'm trying to make my book dance," she explained. "For Charms. I had that today, and I levitated a feather. I was the only one who did it on the first try. I think Professor Michaels was pleased." Aoife felt herself blush a little. She hadn't even talked to Colleen about how handsome she thought he was. "I like Charms, and I think I might be pretty good at it. I mean, I know we're only doing the easy stuff now, but I really like it. It's fun, doing magic. I never knew it was so much fun. And I think maybe I made a friend today. Her name's Willow, and we talked for a long time. She's really nice and she was easy to talk to. I like her a lot. It's been a really good day. Oh! And I drew a picture of you during lunch. Would you like to see?"
Back to top Go down
Colleen O'Brien
Ravenclaw
Colleen O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Colleen had gotten out of her classes and wanted to find her sister. She'd had a rather interesting lesson today. Transfiguration, and she'd been turning needles into matches. She'd been successful within about twenty minutes, even if the match had still looked a bit shiny. Her professor had given Ravenclaw ten points for her being the first to accomplish it, and then she'd grinned broadly at her table mate for being the second to get it, and it was a hard task! Matthew Radcliffe had gotten five points for Gryffindor for being the second, and the remainder of the class they'd just been told to read the next chapter of their books.

Her sister had been sorted into Hufflepuff, and it made Colleen sad. She'd never been apart from Aoife for so long before. She'd been rather surprised when she had been placed into Ravenclaw, but the Sorting Hat must know what it was doing, since it had been the way that the students were placed for the longest time. Plus, she had another twin in her house, and the other half of the set was in Gryffindor with Matthew! She'd wondered if all sets of twins were seperated, but then she'd heard of another set where both of them were in Gryffindor.

She skipped into the Group Common room and immediately searched for her sister. She missed Aoife terribly. Her sister was so shy that it made Matthew, who had to be talked to for nearly ten minutes before he'd even say one word! But when she'd gotten him talking she'd learned that he had a girlfriend named Willow, and that he was going to be a big brother again. Colleen had told him about her twin, and he'd said that he had twin sisters, and the fascinating part of this was that one of his sisters was magical, and the other was a Muggle! She didn't know that could happen! And even more interesting was that his mother was going to be marrying one of the professors soon, they were having a baby!

Colleen spotted her sister and hurried over to her as she watched her try to do something to her book. She didn't know what it was, but the book just kind of flopped open on the cushion next to her. She went over to her sister and sat down, about to tell her what her day had been like, when to her surprise, Aoife started telling about her own day. Colleen grinned when Aoife became excited about her Charms class. She mentioned Professor Michaels, and it came into Colleen's head that this was the teacher that Matthew's mother was going to marry. From what her sister was telling her, Charms seemed to be the class to have. She didn't know, her Charms lesson wasn't until the next day. When asked if she wanted to see the picture that had been drawn of her, she readily nodded.

"Of course I do! I love seeing your drawings."
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Aoife rummaged in her bag until she found her notebook. She never would have let anyone aside from Colleen and her parents see her artwork. She wasn't very good anyway, even though she wanted to be an artist. She turned to the correct page and handed it off to Colleen, then pulled her knees to her chest and hugged them, resting her chin atop them as she waited for Colleen's response.

Aoife stayed silent. She usually didn't talk much, except to people she knew. Her extended family used to be surprised when she was young to hear her talking to Colleen. She remembered visiting her grandparents in Ireland once and being a little bit afraid of them. New people were always a little bit scary to Aoife, even when they were her grandparents. She overheard her grandmother telling her parents later that it was unnatural for a child to be so quiet, that she were sure Aoife must be up to something. Then, she peeked in one day on Aoife and Colleen playing and heard Aoife chattering up a storm. Colleen had always been easy for Aoife to talk to. There was something freeing, something safe, about talking to her. Especially since she hadn't really found anyone else to talk to here. At home, she had her parents and a few friends. Here at Hogwarts, she had no one. Not yet, anyway.

She scooted over to sit next to her sister and look at the drawing with her. It was a drawing of the day they left Mali. The desert wind flowed through the village that day, so hot she almost felt she was baking, and whipped through Colleen's hair as they made their preparations. Elephants stood in the lake in the background, wallowing in the mud and throwing water on themselves. It was a scene Aoife had seen a million times, and she might not have remembered the moment except that it had somehow stuck in her mind as a final snapshot. Now she wished she could go back into that moment and stay forever. It was one of the last times she and Colleen and her parents were all together. They would be again at Christmas, Aoife knew, but it wouldn't be the same. Nothing would ever be the same again.

She studied Colleen. Aoife did that a lot. She found Colleen infinitely interesting, which was odd since they spent so much time together. Maybe that was why Colleen was so interesting to her. When she was little, she used to think they were the same person, she and Colleen. She could still remember the day she figured out they weren't. It was an odd feeling, like she was suddenly severed from the ground and floating through the air. Colleen was over there and she was over here, and they weren't the same at all. But Colleen was still her sister. Colleen was still her hero.

"It's not that good," Aoife said softly, unable to stay silent any longer. "I couldn't get the sun quite right, and I think I messed up your hair. I was trying to make it look like the wind was blowing it, but I think it just ended up looking wild. Maybe I should throw it away and start over. What do you think?"
Back to top Go down
Colleen O'Brien
Ravenclaw
Colleen O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:29 pm

Colleen looked over the picture that her sister had drawn. It made her want to cry, Aoife had captured their home perfectly. She missed Mali so much. She knew her twin did as well, they were so close that they could almost read each other's minds.

Aoife's drawing was amazing. She'd captured the effect of the wind, the village, everything was as she remembered it. She couldn't stop staring at it until she heard her sister say that she should throw it away and start over.

"Absolutely not! This is going to be right in my room, next to my bed. If you don't want me to show it to anyone, I'll put it in my photo album, but I want to have a picture that you drew."

She held the book to her chest protectively as a message that she'd not part with the drawing willingly. And that was the truth. She didn't have a single Aoife O'Brien drawing anywhere in her dorm. Not in her trunk, her bedside cabinet, nowhere. Which was strange, since she had loads of them at home. She had immediately become attatched to this picture, and she wanted to keep it. She took it from the book and tucked it into one of her school books so that nothing would happen to it before she could get it to its location in her room.

She knew that Aoife wanted to be an artist, but she didn't know what she wanted to do with her life when they left school in seven years. She knew that she was only eleven and didn't have to think about that to hard just yet, but she'd heard from someone that it was never too soon to be thinking about your future. So she thought about it now. Her twin was going to make a wonderful artist one day. She had been blessed with a natural talent, and Colleen wondered what it was that she would be talented with.

"Aoife, you can draw, but I don't have any talent at all. What am I to do with my life when I grow up?"
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Aoife rested her head on Colleen's shoulder. "You're good at lots of things, Colleen. You're so pretty, and you're a good dancer, and you're smart and funny. Maybe you could be a dancer, or an actress. You can do anything." Aoife really believed that; Colleen was good at so many different things. Aoife wished she could be more like that. Most days, she liked being herself, but sometimes she wished she could be different. Nicer, maybe, or friendlier, more outgoing. More like Colleen, more like everyone else. Sometimes she felt out of step, like no one really understood her.

"When we get used to being here, and we get all our O.W.L.'s, we'll figure out what we're good at, and then we'll know what we want to do." Aoife thought she liked Charms best, and not only because of Professor Michaels. She liked learning new spells and she liked practicing them and, most of all, she liked the way she felt when she mastered one. Colleen was probably good at all the classes. It occurred to Aoife that they hadn't really talked much about their classes yet. She didn't even know which class was Colleen's favorite. She kicked herself mentally. She'd been so selfish, going on and on about Charms and her drawing. Colleen hadn't had a chance to tell about her day yet. Aoife wanted to hear all about it. "What classes do you like best so far?"
Back to top Go down
Colleen O'Brien
Ravenclaw
Colleen O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 8:44 am

Colleen's eyes lit up when she was asked what her favorite class was so far. That was easily Transfiguration! Since she and Matthew had been the only ones to change their needles to matches, they had been the ones to get points, and the only ones to not get homework for the night. She didn't know if it would stay her favorite since she'd not had Charms yet, but for right now it was definitely.

"Transfiguration! It is so cool!" she crowed to her twin. "We only did needles into matches today, but I was the first one to do it, and got ten points for my house! And I met Matthew Radcliffe, a Gryffindor, he was the second one to do it and got five points for his house. You mentioned a girl named Willow? I think that might be his girlfriend. He's really nice, kind of like you, really shy, but nervous, I think. He was fidgeting for almost our whole conversation."

Colleen knew that she was rambling, but it was so easy for her to do when she was talking to Aoife. They'd always been like this. Chattering to each other, even when they weren't talking to anyone else. Aoife had been afraid of their grandparents, since they were new people to the twins, and she'd not said a word while in their presence. But as soon as they were alone, Aoife and Colleen had talked for at least an hour, almost nonstop. She supposed it was because they had been together all their lives, and even before they were born.

She loved her sister more than anything, and was fiercely protective of her, but it kind of made her sad that she wasn't able to help her as much here in Hogwarts. She wasn't able to help her open up around other people and talk to them like she'd been at home. But it made her happy that her sister had been talking to Willow and if they became friends, then that was wonderful! Aoife needed friends to be with when she couldn't be with her sister.

Colleen cuddled her twin to her and rested her cheek on her head. "So, are there any other classes that you like? Any more friends being made?"
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Aoife gave a small nod. "I like all my classes so far. I had Potions this morning. We made a hair regrowing potion. One boy exploded his, and it hit a lot of people, and hair started growing wherever it hit them." Aoife started to giggle as she told the story. It had been so funny! "I got splashed a little on my arm, and hair started growing. It was fun! It grew really long. The boy who exploded the potion got soaked. He was growing hair everywhere! He looked like a yeti or a werewolf or something!"

Aoife kept giggling so hard she could hardly finish the story. "One girl cried because she thought she'd end up with hair growing out of the tip of her nose forever." That part really hadn't been very funny. Aoife had felt sad for her, but now she was laughing so hard she couldn't stop. She was laughing so hard tears were streaming down her face! "Professor Snape fixed us all, but it was so funny!" Aoife kept laughing for a moment, curling up with Colleen. It was easy to laugh with Colleen. Sometimes she'd get going laughing at nothing in particular and keep going until her sides hurt. Finally she sobered and wiped the tears of mirth from her eyes. She frowned and sighed. "I wish you could have been there."

Aoife pulled out her schedule and looked it over. She hadn't quite memorized it yet. She was really looking forward to the classes the Hufflepuffs had with the Ravenclaws so she could be with Colleen, but they hadn't had any of those yet. She wished she could have more classes with Colleen. Or that they were in the same house. Aoife thought maybe she was smart enough to be in Ravenclaw. Her parents always said she was smart, anyway, and she learned new things quickly. She thought that might be the same thing as being smart. She could fit into Ravenclaw, and even if she didn't, Colleen would be there, so it wouldn't matter. She took a deep breath. "Do you think maybe if we went and asked Professor Snape, he'd let me be resorted, so I can be in Ravenclaw with you?"
Back to top Go down
Colleen O'Brien
Ravenclaw
Colleen O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Colleen couldn't wait until their class, Defense Against The Dark Arts, together. That wasn't until the next day, right before her Charms class. She missed her sister so much, as they'd never been apart for so long. She wondered about Aoife's suggestion that Headmaster Snape resorting her into Ravenclaw. It would be nice to have her twin in the same house as she was. They could share the same bed, talk into the night, and Colleen could help her with her being so shy if she was able to see Aoife more.

She'd laughed with her sister about the hair potion and thought that she'd liked to have seen it. Her first potions class had been rather uneventful. They'd been brewing a calming potion, and the most exciting thing that had happend had been that somone had turned the potion black instead of the pale orange it was supposed to be halfway through the brewing process. It had been easily remedied. They had only to add a bat spleen to get it to change to the correct hue. That hadn't been funny. Unlike Aoife's story. That had sounded like something that she would have enjoyed as well.

"So did anything else happen that was fun today? My potions class was rather boring. I can't wait until we are in Defense Against the Dark Arts. It's our class together, and it's tomorrow!"
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 10:20 am

"Not really," Aoife said softly. "I talked to a boy at lunch a little bit. He watched me draw. He said he liked the picture, and some of his friends came to watch. They got bored and went away after a while, though. I didn't talk to them much. I didn't know what to say. They liked the picture, though. They said it was pretty. They said you're pretty, too." Aoife had only nodded when they complimented her, and answered with shrugs or one-word answers. Who are you drawing? My sister. She's pretty. Shrug. Where is she supposed to be? Mali. You've been to Mali? A nod. What's it like there? Shrug.

Colleen should have been there. She'd have been able to tell them about the blazing sun and how big it was when it set, throwing deep red sunbeams across the lake, as though it were filled with melted fire. Sometimes Aoife almost thought she could see them dancing, like fairies skating across the tiny waves. She could have told them about the way the desert smelled. Dry and earthy and beautiful and full of potential, like it was going to burst forth at any moment and remember who it used to be. It was odd. Aoife always seemed to think of the perfect thing to say ten minutes after they time to say it had passed.

"I'm supposed to go to Astronomy tonight at midnight." Astronomy would make her miss Mali and her parents, too. It seemed like everything did. Mum and Dad used to take her out stargazing sometimes, and tell her about the constellations and the stories about them. She'd learned all about Andromeda and Orion and Ursa and Scorpius.

The stars here weren't as bright as in Mali; Aoife didn't know why, but looking out the window at night made her feel a little sad. The stars all looked dimmer here, like maybe they missed Mali, too. That was a silly thought. The stars didn't know the difference between being looked at from Mali and being looked at from Scotland. It did make Aoife feel a little comforted to think that she was looking at the same sky here she used to look at there, and that Mum and Dad were looking at the same sky in Ireland, too. It made her feel connected to the rest of the world, even though she knew that if they went far enough south, the constellations would change. Even here, there were some stars she didn't recognize because she couldn't see them back home. She wanted to learn their names.

"That might be fun. Like looking at the stars at home." Aoife sighed, the dull ache she had grown so used to the past few days returning to her chest. "Colleen, do you miss home?"
Back to top Go down
Colleen O'Brien
Ravenclaw
Colleen O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Colleen missed their home terribly, but knew that their parents had moved here so that their twins could have the magical education they deserved.

"I dream about it every night. Think that will ever stop?" Her dreams were always of Mali, and all the things they'd left behind. The village, their friends, all the animals that they'd grown to love. She knew that they wouldn't be able to live there again while they were attending Hogwarts, but they could possibly go during their holidays from school. They had Christmas coming up in a few short months, and then the Easter holiday just four months after. Maybe their mother and father would take them to Mali to see their village.

Colleen looked at the picture that her sister had drawn for her again and felt her eyes mist up. She wanted to be there now. She didn't want to stay at Hogwarts anymore. She wanted to go back to Mali and never see this cold, wet, place again. She didn't like being cold, and it was always raining! Why hadn't their parents found a school for them where it was warm and dry? She didn't think that they had even looked, they just wanted Collen and Aoife to go to school where they had and not even thought about what they were doing to their little girls.

I have an Astronomy class too, but it's not until tomorrow night. I hope that we can even see the stars, since we certainly haven't seen the sun since we've been here. I don't like the rain. It makes every thing cold and damp."

Colleen realized that she was starting to feel that she was complaining. Their parents had brought them to the United Kingdom to get their magical education in what was one of, if not the, best school of magic. They had gone here and they wanted their children to go as well, and here they were. Even if they were in different houses.

"I'm sorry, Aoife. I don't mean to make you homesick."
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 pm

"You didn't," Aoife said softly. It was true; Colleen hadn't made her homesick. She didn't think anything could make her feel any more homesick than she already felt. She couldn't decide how she felt about knowing that Colleen missed home as well. Part of her felt sad because she didn't want Colleen to be sad. Another part of her felt relieved because at least that meant Colleen understood and she wasn't all alone in this. Mostly, though, she hated the thought that Colleen felt as badly as she, Aoife, did. She hated for anyone to be sad, but especially her sweet sister.

Until this moment, she'd sort of thought Colleen wasn't homesick at all. She'd been watching Colleen talking to people and making new friends. She had been a little jealous, truth be told, because Colleen seemed to be fitting right in. Aoife had thought this whole thing must be terribly easy for her. She made it look easy, anyway. Now to hear that Colleen was just as homesick as Aoife was made Aoife want to cry. She wanted Colleen to be happy. She wanted Colleen to have fun. Aoife had been trying to put on a happy face for her sister because she didn't want to ruin Colleen's good time. But now, to know Colleen felt the same way...

Aoife gripped Colleen's arm and bolted upright as she was struck by a sudden idea. She looked around to make sure no one was listening and then leaned in close to her sister to whisper excitedly. "Colleen, let's leave. We don't have to stay here. We could go to the library and teach ourselves to make a portkey. We could take it back to Mali and live there. We could study there as well. There are magical schools there. And maybe, once we got there, Mum and Dad would come too, and we could all be together again."

Aoife jumped to her feet, still holding onto Colleen's wrist, feeling her face flush with excitement. This could work! They didn't have to stay here where they were both unhappy. "We could do it, Colleen! We really could!"
Back to top Go down
Colleen O'Brien
Ravenclaw
Colleen O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 4:02 pm

Colleen hadn't seen her sister this excited in a long time. Not since they had been back in Mali. She wished that they could do just what Aoife was suggesting, but it wasn't possible. Their parents would just go to Mali and bring them back to the school, and they would still be unhappy and missing their home. Plus there was the fact that she knew that making a Portkey had to be very complicated, and from what she'd heard from some of the Professors around the school, it was illegal to make one without authorization from the Ministry. She didn't want to get their parents in trouble, much less themseves. She didn't even want to think of what kind of trouble it would be.

Then there was the fact that they were eleven years old. How were they going to find a place to live, food and the other things that they would need to have when they arrived in Mali if they were successful in making the Portkey? She would be terrified to be there without their parents, and she didn't want to let Aoife know it. Her sister was shy enough without having to take care of Colleen being frightened. She had to remain strong for her twin at all costs, and now that meant to swallow her homesickness and deal with their classes the best that they could. And there would be Christmas, Easter and summer holidays. They would be able to see their family more than they thought, she realized.

"Aoife, I want to go home, but we can't just make a Portkey. Mum and Dad would be furious, and since we don't know a lot of magic, we might get hurt. We're better off staying right where we are. I would feel so bad if something happened to you and it was all my fault."

She pulled Aoife back down to her seat and snuggled against her, wanting her to know that she would always be there for her, even if they weren't in the same house.
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 10:21 am

Aoife pulled back from Colleen and turned away from her. She didn't feel like being hugged right now. She wasn't cross, not with Colleen anyway. She could never be cross with Colleen. Only she felt so frustrated with the situation. So helpless. Seven years she'd be here. Seven years was so long, she could hardly imagine it. The time seemed to stretch in front of her, like a vast and violent moor that she must somehow cross. It seemed a daunting task.

She pulled her knees up and hugged them, dropping her chin down across them and staring out at the common room, at other students bustling about. She reckoned none of them ever felt this way. They were all talking and laughing and studying and busy being happy. Aoife wished she could be someone else. She wished she could be one of them and not care. Or she wished she could be a muggle. If she was a muggle, she could stay home. She should have been a squib. She and Colleen should both have been squibs. Then they could have stayed in Mali.

Her eyes misted a little, and she blinked rapidly, trying to keep the tears from falling. She'd really thought Colleen would help her, and she couldn't leave alone. Not without her sister. Maybe Colleen would still come. Maybe she just needed to be talked into it.

"Nothing would happen to us. We can teach ourselves all the magic we need to know. We can read books and maybe go to school back home. Or maybe we could ask Mum and Dad to teach us. They know a lot of magic. We could take the train back to London and go to Diagon Alley and find them at Gringotts. Then they'd have to take us home."

Aoife stared out, imagining how happy their parents would be to see them. They'd hug them tightly and kiss them and realize they'd made a mistake sending them away and promise to never send them away again. Her vision went blurry as her eyes filled with tears, and she blinked them away again. She didn't want Colleen to know.
Back to top Go down
Colleen O'Brien
Ravenclaw
Colleen O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Colleen wanted to go home. Of that she was certain. But their parents wanted them to have their education, and she knew that they would be disappointed if their daughters left school just because they were homesick. They would certainly point out that half the students at Hogwarts were homesick at one point or another. It was part of being away from home. To be missing it so much that you would run back there the first chance that you got.

"Aoife, Mum and Dad would want us to stay here. They paid for us to come here, at least for the year, and besides, I thought you liked your Charms class?"

If her sister still wanted to leave, Colleen would right to their parents the next evening and ask if they could come home, but she wasn't going to simply go off and try to learn magic that was above the ability of a first year. It was dangerous, and she wasn't going to let her twin do it either.

"Aoife, wait. Just wait. If you want to go home tomorrow, I'll write to Mum and Dad. See if they tell us that we can come home. Please?" She so hated to see her sister upset, but when Aoife got into this mindset, it took time to get her out of it, if it could be done at all. She just hoped that this would be one of the times that she could talk her out of doing this. It could be something that might end up getting her twin seriously hurt.
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Aoife bit her lip, a nervous habit. She knew she was being ridiculous. She knew she was needlessly upsetting her sister. She knew she was acting like a five-year-old, pouting and throwing a wobbly because she couldn't have her way. She knew all those things, somewhere deep in her mind, but she couldn't seem to make it stop.

She closed her eyes against the conflict inside her own heart. She was being selfish. So terribly selfish. Colleen didn't deserve this. It wasn't Colleen's fault anyway. Colleen was just as stuck as Aoife was, and even if she weren't, what right did Aoife have to make her problems Colleen's problems? Colleen might be having great fun, if Aoife weren't here spoiling it for her. Besides, Colleen was right, as much as Aoife hated to admit it. Not much made their parents angry, but running away from Hogwarts might be enough to do it. Aoife wasn't entirely sure she cared, though. They wouldn't stay mad forever, after all, and once they were done being mad, Aoife and Colleen would be home with them.

Aoife was silent for a long while, wishing she could make all the icky feelings go away. If she were at home, she'd have gone to her room and locked herself inside until she felt like being in polite company again. Here, there was nowhere to go, and if she left, she couldn't be sure she'd be able to find Colleen again to apologize. She really thought she ought to apologize, now that a cooler head was beginning to prevail. Colleen was right. They couldn't just up and go to Mali all by themselves. How would they get money? How would they get food?

Aoife tried to focus on happy things: things she liked about Hogwarts. The food here was good. The house elves were sweet. Her dorm mates were nice enough, when they talked to her. She could take art classes. She was learning magic. Once she grew up and learned enough magic, she could go back to Mali herself. She could be an artist in Mali as easily as in Ireland, right? The thoughts buoyed her, and she turned back to her sister. That was the best thing of all about Hogwarts, after all. This was where Colleen was, and Aoife wanted to be wherever Colleen was.

"I'm sorry," she said softly. "I didn't mean to be a prat. We don't have to write to Mum and Dad. We'll get used to it here eventually." She wasn't sure if she was saying that for herself or for Colleen. Maybe if she said it often enough, it would eventually be true? Aoife took a deep breath, and forced a smile that Colleen would see through in three seconds. Still, it made Aoife feel better to smile. If she could make herself smile when she was sad, soon the smile would become real. Her mother had taught her that trick. "I'm sorry," she said again. "I didn't mean to spoil your good mood. You never got to finish telling me about your day. What else did you do?"
Back to top Go down
Colleen O'Brien
Ravenclaw
Colleen O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Colleen snuggled her sister again before answering. She wanted to tell her sister how much she missed being able to talk to her at night, communicating with their own language of gestures, thoughts, glances, and whispers, until their parents came in and they had to feign being asleep. Then as soon as the door was shut again, they were right back at it, sometimes until the early hours of the morning. That was always how the two sisters had cheered each other when they'd gotten into trouble and needed to feel better.

She threaded her fingers through Aoife's, closing them together. She loved her sister more than anything, and sometimes she felt that she was the one that needed to be protected, rather than her shy twin. She didn't want to tell her that, though, since Aoife was feeling sad enough about missing their home and their parents. She didn't need to hear how much Colleen needed her to be in the next bed, just so that she'd be able to comfort her twin, and be comforted in return.

Besides, they'd been sorted into different houses for a reason. It was to play to their strengths, and to make them come to the surface. There was no way that they would be resorted, Colleen knew that. But she could look for her twin outside their respective common rooms, and spend time with her between classes.

"I had fun with Transfiguration, but I was looking forward to seeing what my Charms class would be like. From what you've said, that's the class that's the most fun. I think the same thing about Transfiguration, but maybe we both need to see the other class to really make up our minds?"
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Brien
Hufflepuff
Aoife O'Brien

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 8:47 am

Aoife smiled again - a real one this time. She was already starting to feel better. Her bad moods never lasted long, especially not when Colleen was around.

"You'll like Charms. Professor Michaels is really nice, and learning charms is fun. It's sort of like a puzzle. That's what the book says. You have to figure out how to combine the right charms to make something do what you want it to do. That's how broomsticks fly. There's a levitating charm and a steering charm and a lot of others. I never knew that. I always thought they just sort of... flew... you know, like birds."

Actually, when Aoife was really little, she thought maybe broomsticks were transfigured birds. She wouldn't ride one for the longest time because she felt sad for the poor birdies, until her dad explained it to her one day - that broomsticks were just regular brooms, and that they flew by magic. After that, Aoife climbed on happily.

"I'll be glad for Transfiguration. Did you know that if you get good enough at transfiguration, you can transfigure yourself into an animal? I wish I could do that. I'd make myself into an elephant, or maybe an owl. It would be fun to fly everywhere, wouldn't it? And not on a broomstick, but really fly, because you had your own wings." Aoife's smile widened. "Wouldn't it be lovely to have wings and fly up high and rest on the clouds?" She leaned into her sister and imagined them soaring through the air together, across mountains and oceans. They could live in trees. Aoife loved trees. They all had so very much personality.

Aoife let out a small, contented sigh. "We could sleep in a tree together, all snuggled up on the same branch, and then explore somewhere new every morning. I don't think I'd ever get tired of being a bird."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)   It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It was a Good Day, Colleen (Colleen)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Mirror of Erised  :: Dungeons :: House Commons-
Jump to: